Monday, July 13, 2009

Perfect Weekend

I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

I'm not sure mine could have been any better.

Thursday's pre-weekend activities involved lounging with Brucer:
Photobucket

After peeling myself off the couch I took my first crack at making black bean "burgers."
The patties included


  • 1 can low sodium black beans, rinsed

  • 1 egg

  • bread crumbs (I started with 1/2 c and ended up adding more to get the right consistency)

  • Sauteed onion (the fajita leftovers mysteriously vanished (cough- Parker!- cough) so I quickly cooked some more

  • 3/4 fresh yellow pepper chopped into small pieces

  • chili powder, salt and pepper to taste

I put the beans, egg and bread crumbs into the food processor until it looked like thick hummus, then stirred in the remaining ingredients. We cooked the patties up in a fry pan and served them with avocado and tomato. Dinner also included some roasted sweet potatoes with cumin (and BBQ sauce- yum!) and zucchini with a little fresh parm and too much paprika:


Photobucket


Such a delicious, fresh, (spicy!) summer meal!


I also used one of the leftover bb burgers to throw together a quick salad for dinner on Friday night before heading out to meet the girls.


The salad included

  • Spring mix lettuce

  • Black bean burger

  • 1/4 avocado smushed up with s and p and a little lime juice to make a quick guac

  • A drizzle of soy ginger salad dressing

Since Tami loves my salad pictures so much, here goes ;)


Photobucket


It was a great, light dinner followed by a wonderful evening with lovely friends.


Photobucket


Saturday we headed up to the cabin. Mom and Pattie made a delicious curry dinner, and we all consumed way too much wine followed by a game of Cranium. Verdict- I am terrible at the 'Humdinger" clues. My dancing didn't seem to help. Thank goodness there aren't any photos.


The next morning we woke up bright and early for Kathleen's "32 minute scrambled eggs" and homemade bread. I can't imagine a better way to start the day! After that, we headed out for a hike up to the waterfall. We were excited to see the river:


Photobucket


Of course we posed for the required touristy shot. When travelling with an out-of-stater you're allowed to do such things :)


Photobucket


The hike was absolutely gorgeous and the scenery was accompanied by wonderful friends and a beautiful sunshine filled day. I can't wait to go back!


Hope you had a lovely weekend and your week is off to a great start!

2 comments:

  1. You know I love those avocado slices...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love <3 black bean burgers- especially homemade! Yours look fabulous with the avocado..mmmmm :) Glad you enjoyed our weekend. The hike looks like a lot of fun!! If you end up trying the sloppy janes- let me know how they turn out! You can mix up and use different varieties of beans- all are pretty good!

    ReplyDelete